Irrespective of the type of IT business you run, you want to ensure three crucial things – uninterrupted operations, seamless communication, and secure data exchange. To maintain everything in-house, you need to invest a significant amount and effort in establishing the necessary network infrastructure. Once everything is in place, the intricate architecture of the software and hardware will function properly.
What about the security side of the in-house network infrastructure? Have you set aside a certain amount you want to invest for this aspect of IT maintenance?
You must know that the lack of adequate security measures makes the internal network vulnerable to cyber-attacks and data breaches. Also, the resulting cost-heavy setbacks and affected user experience can damage the business.
This guide will walk you through various sides of network infrastructure security and how you can maintain the same.
Network Infrastructure Security: Definition & Advantages
Network infrastructure security is the process of protecting your organization’s networking infrastructure from external damages like unauthorized access, data, or resource theft with the help of various preventive measures. These measures include application security, access control, firewalls, Virtual Private Networks (VPNs), and more. Besides external threats, network security measures also cover protection against internal issues, such as data leakage, deletion, modification, or accidental clicking of malicious content.
A robust network infrastructure security is essential to prevent data breaches and affected user experience that can ultimately lead to long-lasting financial damages to the business. It encompasses various parts of your company’s network, including routers, switches, cables, and LAN cards.
One of the primary advantages of investing in network infrastructure security is that the software and hardware can be defended while the network is still active. Other benefits include:
- With a secure and robust network infrastructure, you can better utilize the corresponding bandwidth and make modifications for different business-specific needs.
- When you have enhanced network infrastructure security on your side, the uptime will increase automatically.
- The defense alerts will also become active to identify any unauthorized access to the network systems.
- An effective network infrastructure security strategy also helps identify underused assets so that you can move the resources to reduce risk and save more.
Types of Network Infrastructure Security
Maintaining adequate security for the entire network infrastructure does not involve a single protective measure but several types that cooperate. These include:
- Anti-virus programs to protect the system against keyloggers, adware, phishing attacks, and other spam threats
- Intrusion Prevention Systems (IPS) to respond to the danger in addition to system reporting and monitoring
- Access control to prevent unauthorized access to devices, networks, applications, software, and hardware
- Wireless security to keep unauthorized individuals from using the company’s wireless network
- App security for addressing any potential loopholes in the application
- Firewalls that safeguard the network against both incoming and outgoing traffic
- VPN acts as a bridge between various network endpoints to ensure safe communication
- Behavioral analytics to check for network activity and detect any malicious behavior
More about Various Segments of Network Infrastructure Security
Having well-defined segments in your network security strategy helps prevent intruder actions from spreading further into the network. This requires:
- Keeping a check on the lateral or peer-to-peer communication within the network to prevent unauthorized individuals from having the network access
- Strengthening the hardware network devices to level up the overall network security
- Implementing multi-factor authentication to ensure that only authorized users can access the network
- Ensuring consistent security checks over the software and devices installed in the organization
Why Is It Important?
The need and importance of network infrastructure security can be gauged from the fact that unreliable apps and hackers can potentially threaten your organization. On succeeding in their attempt to gain complete control over the company’s network infrastructure, they can cause significant harm. This is where enhanced security for the infrastructure plays a critical role. Various security components aim at preventing hackers from performing malicious activities on your network.
Keep Your Network Safe and Secure with Verito’s Managed Security Services
Amidst the evolving threat landscape, you need the best security defense against cyber threats. So leave no room to chance by joining hands with Verito Technologies for their comprehensive managed security services. Whether it is data monitoring to detect breaches or remediation of various threats that come your way, we will have you covered.
Let’s connect to discuss your security needs further!